The glassblowing facility is a full-service shop primarily engaged in the design and fabrication of specialized scientific glassware as well as repairs and modifications of existing glassware
Services and Design
The glassblowing facility has on-hand virtually all sizes of borosilicate (Pyrex, Kimax) glass tubing ranging in size from 2 millimeter up to 178 millimeter in diameter. All sizes of commonly used ground glass joints and a large selection of both glass and Teflon stopcocks are maintained in a large inventory. Smaller selections of quartz tubing are also maintained in stock. Special items can be ordered if necessary.
- Bench, lathe, and stationary rack work:
- graded seals
- glass-to-metal seals
- oil diffusion pumps
- quartz dewars (window and finger)
- quartz UV optical cells
- High vacuum techniques:
- working knowledge of vacuum gauges
- leak detection techniques.
- Vacuum rack designing, application of glass-to-metal couplings.
- 7¼-inch bore glassblowing lathe
- Glass cut-off machine
- Belt sander
- Pyrex annealing oven
- Drill press